Fright Night is one of the most classic ’80s horror movies ever. Now, the film is finally getting a 4K Ultra HD release with a SteelBook from Sony this October 4th, 2022. This isn’t your normal studio release either, this one has brand new bonus content in addition to legacy content that’s being ported over. Here’s the list of special features coming.
4K ULTRA HD DISC
- Feature scanned from the original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
- All-new Dolby Atmos audio + 5.1 + original Dolby Stereo
BLU-RAY™ FEATURE DISC
- Feature presented in High Definition, sourced from the 4K master
- 5.1 + original Dolby Stereo
- Special Features:
- NEW: Deleted Scene Storyboards – Tom Holland guides us through the film’s only deleted scene, using his personal pre-production storyboards
- NEW: Holland/Beyda Spec Trailer with an Introduction by Tom Holland – the never-before-seen alternate trailer cut by Fright Night editor Kent Beyda with the guidance—and narration—of Tom Holland
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- You’re So Cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night
- What is Fright Night
- Tom Holland: Writing Horror
- Theatrical Trailers
BLU-RAY™ SPECIAL FEATURES DISC
- Special Features:
- NEW: Fright Night 35th Anniversary Script Read – an anniversary cast reunion and script reading featuring writer/director Tom Holland and special guests including Rosario Dawson, Jason Patric, and many more!
- NEW: The Queer Lens: Bryan Fuller in Conversation with Amanda Bearse – a candid discussion between Fright Night aficionado Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Queer for Fear: The History of Queer Horror) and Fright Night star Amanda Bearse about the Gothic’s queer roots, the film’s queer subtext, and its metaphorical power
- NEW: A Novel Approach: The Splatterpunk Story of the Fright Night Novelization – Tom Holland, Fright Night novelization authors John Skipp and Craig Spector, and publisher Mark Alan Miller discuss how the progenitors of the splatterpunk genre came to work on the book, their writing process, and the novel’s enduring legacy
- NEW: SFX Storyboard Comparisons – a selection of original storyboards from key effects sequences, compared with their final filmed versions
- Roddy McDowall: From Apes to Bats
- Tom Holland and Amanda Bearse Talk Fright Night
- Round Table with Tom, Stephen and William
- Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
- First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel – Fear Fest 2 (2008)
- Weekend of Hell Panel with Amanda and Stephen
- Vintage EPK with Behind-the-Scenes Raw Footage
Fright Night comes from Director Tom Holland, and stars Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Roddy McDowall, Amanda Bearse, and Stephen Geoffreys. It was originally released in 1985. The story of the film follows Charlie (Ragsdale), who has a vampire, Jerry Dandridge (Sarandon) move in next to him and causes all kinds of trouble. He goes to a horror host, Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall) to help him fight the demon, but Vincent isn’t all that he seems on TV.
This release looks to be absolutely awesome, so hopefully, we can all grab the SteelBook when it releases on October 4th. Now we just need a Blu-ray release of Fright Night: Part 2 to go with it.
For more on 4K or Blu-ray releases, make sure to check back to That Hashtag Show.