A beloved children’s book is headed to the screen. HBO Max will premiere the animated special The Runaway Bunny, based on the book by Margaret Wise Brown.
The special creates the world of The Runaway Bunny with traditional hand-drawn animation, narration by Tracee Ellis Ross, and a special soundtrack.
Songs in the special include:
- Mariah Carey’s brand-new reinterpretation of her #1 hit song “Always Be My Baby”
- Kelly Rowland – Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love”
- Rosanne Cash – “You Are My Sunshine”
- Ziggy Marley – “What a Wonderful World”
- Rufus Wainwright – Billy Joel’s “Lullabye, Goodnight My Angel”
- Kimya Dawson – “You Are My Baby”
- Michael Kiwanuka – “Home Again”
In addition to performing the narration, Ross performs an original Margaret Wise Brown lullaby, “Song of the Runaway Bunny.” The lullaby is based on a Provençal love ballad which inspired the original book.
The Runaway Bunny follows a restless little bunny who dreams of leaving home. An exploration of love and childhood, the story lets us accompany the bunny on his imaginary, magical adventures into the world and back home to the comfort of his mother’s love.
Originally published in 1942, the book has sold over 12 million copies and become a favorite for generations of children. Producer/director Amy Schatz brings the book to life in this special.
“The Runaway Bunny is a timeless classic about youthful independence and the strength of a mother’s love,” said Billy Wee, SVP of Original Animation at HBO Max. “Amy Schatz has lovingly brought this story to vivid life with an incredible group of collaborators.”
The Runaway Bunny premieres on HBO Max March 25.
Source: HBO Max