Musical fans rejoice – your first look at Steven Spielberg’s upcoming adaptation of West Side Story is here.
The teaser trailer dropped on Oscars night. Watch it below:
West Side Story tells the classic tale of fierce rivalries and young love in 1957 New York City. This reimagining comes from Academy Award winning director Spielberg, based on a screenplay by Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winner Tony Kushner.
This version stars Ansel Elgort (Tony); Rachel Zegler (María); Ariana DeBose (Anita); David Alvarez (Bernardo); Mike Faist (Riff); Josh Andrés Rivera (Chino); Ana Isabelle (Rosalía); Corey Stoll (Lieutenant Schrank); and Brian d’Arcy James (Officer Krupke).
The adaptation will also see the return of Rita Moreno, who plays Valentina, owner of the corner store where Tony works. Moreno famously played Anita in the 1961 feature of West Side Story.
She’s also one of only three performers to hold Academy, Emmy, Grammy, Tony, and Peabody Awards. (WOW, that’s a lot of awards!)
Moreno serves as an executive producer on the film alongside an award-winning team. Other key roles include:
- Tony Award winner Justin Peck, who choreographed the musical numbers in the film.
- Renowned Los Angeles Philharmonic conductor and Grammy winner Gustavo Dudamel, who helmed the recording of the iconic score.
- Academy Award-nominated composer and conductor David Newman (“Anastasia”), who arranged the score.
- Tony Award-winning composer Jeanine Tesori (“Fun Home,” “Thoroughly Modern Millie”), who supervised the cast on vocals.
- Grammy-nominated music supervisor Matt Sullivan (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Chicago”), who served as executive music producer for the film.
- Academy Award-nominated producer Kristie Macosko Krieger.
- Tony Award-winning producer Kevin McCollum.
West Side Story hits theaters December 10.
So, what did you think of the first teaser? Let us know in the comments.