This recently flurry of Last Jedi trailers and teasers have been an explosion of battles and confrontations.
There have also been increasing accusations that much of what has been shown so far has been filled with misdirection.
However, two major showstopping scenes are very clear.
As the film begins, while Luke and Rey work out their awkward first encounter on Ahch-To, beloved characters will be fighting for their lives in a pulse-pounding and nerve-shredding opening that will have fans on the edge of their seats from the start.
1. “The opening battle scene is actually named the Evacuation of D’Qar. It is said to be unique in the Star Wars films…”
The trailers have already shown Leia on the bridge of the Reistance ship, The Raddus.
The Raddus is a heavy cruiser which once belonged to the Republic and was one of the last ships built before the Military Disarmament Act was signed by the Galactic Empire and New Republic. Although it is a relatively old ship it has been entirely remodelled and made even more battle ready.
2. “The Raddus is under protection because General Leia is on board. It’s up to the A-wing squad to protect her until help arrives from the remnants of the Republic.”
3. “Kylo Ren’s mission is to take out the Radus’ shields from the inside by using his TIE Silencer.”
This is a totally new model of TIE and has been made specifically for Kylo Ren.
4. “The Raddus is emitting a beacon signal across the galaxy, calling to all remnants of the Republic to come and save them.”
This is an exciting moment, because the former Republic had not believed Leia’s warnings that the First Order posed a terrible threat. Now that Hosnian Prime has been destroyed, the Republic is reeling and in desperate need of something to rally behind.
Is this the moment Leia steps up and becomes the figurehead of the entire galaxy?
4. ‘Part of Kylo Ren’s mission is to take out the signal before help can be summoned and to kill General Leia.”
Clearly we know he fails at the first, since a huge battle has already been shown in the trailers. The trailers also imply that Kylo is about to fire on the Raddus. From later scenes showing Leia on Crait is is clear that Kylo does not attempt to kill his mother – or he tries and fails.
Does this failure lead to a showdown with an angry and disappointed Snoke? Is this why Kylo Ren storms into the elevator and smashes his helmet? Is he angry with himself for his failure or angry with Snoke for withdrawing his support?
5. “There are a total of 20 A-wings that lead the defence of the Raddus as the First Order Dreadnought attacks.”
6. “The climax of the battle will introduce Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern).”
Fans are expecting some fireworks between the two women, who have long been on opposing sides in the former Republic Senate.
7. “We heard that the Resistance will be split into two.”
It looks likely that Holdo and Leia will each attempt to seize leadership of the fight against the First Order, with very different plans and methods. Fan favourites like Finn and Poe and almost certain to follow Leia, so what will Holdo’s subsequent role be?